The first week in October was week 34 of the mindfulness challenge, the week of goodness. It was essential this week to take the time to notice the good things that happen each day, and write down three things that made me happy before each day was out. I had to think about each one and question why it happened and why I felt good about it. Apparently, the benefits of this task have been scientifically proven! People have done this task as part of tests and those that did it for just one week found themselves happier one month, three months and sixth months later.
These types of task are my favourite! Things are feeling soooooo dreary lately (I mean, really, it’s not even lately, it’s this whole year!) and with the current political upheaval across the world and the fact that things just feel pretty dire right now, we could all use some happiness, couldn’t we?! Sometimes it’s great to focus on all the good things that we know exist, but sometimes don’t see when we’re busy wallowing and focusing on how bad the world seems.
So here’s my 21 things from the first week of October, three a day, that made me happy that week.
21 Things I’m Grateful For
- People have messaged me checking I’m OK as I haven’t blogged for a while. I feel loved.
- I love that I have YouTube at my fingertips to watch happy videos when I feel sad.
- Super grateful for a break after a crazy busy few weeks – spent a few days chilling out on the sofa watching crap TV and feel wonderful as a result.
- I adore my writing job and part-time job at the wine bar.
- I have such gorgeous family and cherish the times I have with them.
- I love working with wonderful people.
- I feel like a different person since leaving my previous job.
- Anglesey is a stunning place and I’m grateful to be able to visit so easily.
- I’m grateful to have a roof over my head and food to eat.
- I’m grateful for my upbringing and life I am fortunate to lead.
- I’m glad that James puts up with me even when I’m a pain in the ass.
- I love my baby doggy even when she terrorises me!
- I’m glad I don’t have to leave the house today when it’s torrential rain outside. I love listening to the sound of rain and am so lucky to have a warm house to shelter me.
- Sunny days and family time make me so happy.
- I love being in new places and eating/drinking out in pubs and restaurants.
- If I lose my job with potential upcoming restrictions, I’m glad I’ve been able to enjoy it up to now.
- I am grateful for delicious wine – I LOVE trying new wines and understanding what I’m tasting.
- I am blessed with beautiful friends.
- I am grateful for my ability to read and devour amazing books.
- I love binge-worthy TV series like Emily in Paris (not the best series but the one I’ve just binge-watched most recently).
- I’m eternally grateful for my ability to travel (in normal circumstances aside from restrictions!)
This task was fairly easy to be honest. Ever since my 365 Reasons to Smile challenge I did back in 2014, I’ve always found it easy to take something positive out of each day, even if I have to clutch. The problem I have, however, is actually remembering to take the time to do it! So this task served me well.
Things feel very worrying right now with the state of political affairs in our own country, as well as the impending US election and what I expect will be riots, so I was happy for a distraction and reminder to value and focus on the goodness I have in my life.
As with all the positive challenges that bring me back down to Earth with a bang, I really recommend this one! Have a go – I can guarantee you’ll feel better for it. Write down three things each day you’re grateful for before you go to bed, and if you publish it anywhere, be sure to share the link with me. I’d love to see other people’s lists!
There is always goodness to be found, even when it feels like the world is dark and desperate. It may take a while to find it, but if you actively seek it, it will show up.
See you next time!